‘Get Up Close and Personal’
Join a conservationist for the day
At Karoo Ridge Conservancy we restore and protect the natural environment while running a working farm.. Conserving biodiversity is essential to healthy ecosystems allowing plant and animal species to thrive. The greater the number of species the more sustainable the environment becomes and the better it supports the well-being of people. After all, nature is our foundation.
Why not learn more about what we do at Karoo Ridge Conservancy, and spend a day with one of our experts to experience nature conservation in action?
KRC supports a vast spectrum of wildlife and you will be able to see first hand what we are doing to restore and protect this part of the Karoo. We will show you how we manage our natural resources to create a sustainable landscape.
Would you like to see our iconic wildebeest lining up on the horizon or find the hiding place of the elusive zebra? Or we could show you how to track kudu and shy mountain reedbuck? Perhaps you would prefer a guided trek high in the Suurburg Mountains? We promise to give you a very special day tailored to your interests and particular family circumstances. Different seasons provide opportunities to see Karoo flowers and shrubs, nesting birds or migrations or to spot calves and other young animals being born. At different times of the year it may be possible to help with vegetation surveys, cattle tagging and tortoise identification.
We would love to share it with you.
Full Day Rate (KRC Conservation Fee) R2500 for up to 2 adults and children (includes transport plus picnic or lunch)
Or come and join us on one of the following activities in the morning or afternoon (min 2 pax required). The activities are taken out by the owners or Nature Conservation students. Activities last ±3 hours.
- Guided conservancy drive to explore the conservancy, game, veld, ecology and geology of the area. Learn about our Nguni and Ankole cattle and managing the environment. (Additional charge for a bush breakfast or sundowners)
- Guided nature walk to learn about the extraordinary Karoo vegetation and its inhabitants be it insects, reptiles or mammal life. We are happy to take children out for nature walks without parents but please ensure they have sensible shoes, sun hats, sun cream and water. We will adapt the walk for them and can spend time hunting for bugs and looking for tracks.
- Night Drive to go and see if you can see the nocturnal animals (springhares; bat-eared foxes; aardwolf, aardvark) and of course, the stars.
- Guided hiking up into the Suurberg mountains. Hiking boots and a reasonable fitness level is required. The highest peak reaches 2 075 masl This may take more than 3 hours and is usually an early start to avoid the heat of the day. There are no made paths and entails rock clambering and adventure.
- Guided tour to Bushman paintings to learn more about the original inhabitants of the Karoo and why and how they painted. There is walking involved.
- Clay Pigeon Shooting (R 500 for a box of shotgun ammunition and clays).
- Presentation find out more about the area, it’s history, why we are here and what the significance of this area is. Come join us for a drink at the main homestead and sit and enjoy hearing more about the area.
Half-day rate for one activity (3 hours) for 2 people 1000 rand
Lads and Dads weekends charged at 3500 rand per person (7000 rand per pair) per day inclusive.
Team building activities to be negotiated. Fun in the sun with a Mini- Amazing Race over the whole conservancy.
Pilates retreat to be negotiated.